Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Wright's Empty Basket

Honestly, until this morning I have been dreading Easter. Easter, like ALL holidays, was a favorite for Wright. I know, I know, it is for most kids. But you see, Wright was NEVER like most kids. He was truly an "old soul". Most people that met him would agree. He moved to his own beat....he appreciated the little things, he saw good in everybody, he liked everybody, he enjoyed making people feel special, he was a gift giver and would create you a gift from his own things, he never expected anything in return, he was very thoughtful, he remembered everything you told him, he could keep secrets, he always let the other person go first, he found joy in everyday, he loved to laugh and to hear others laugh, he loved people that seemed different or had disabilities. He was quite protective over them. He would always tell Hill to be nice because that was the way God made them. My sweet Wright often told me when I was on a new diet to love my body the way God made it. He had a very soft spot for people that were homeless or hungry. He often made me do things that got me out of my comfort zone and put me in God's zone. This child was an earthly angel no doubt. I realize that more and more every passing day. Wright had a unique connection with God as far back as I can remember...He loved Jesus and he would often remind me with the most precious grin that Jesus loved him even more than me! Wow! His faith was amazing at such an early age. He visited with Jesus in his garden a few times that he told us about in his brief but oh so significant life.
 So it has been with great hesitation that we have discussed any plans for Easter, or any other holiday really.  It seems so natural to want to abandon old traditions and create new, but part of me feels that would be leaving Wright out.  He enjoyed everything about every holiday and would plan for weeks the activities and menu!! He made holidays a big deal at our house! I can see him flapping those arms with excitement right now asking me "how much longer now Mama?" 




Will we go to church, egg hunts, dye Easter eggs, or eat with our family? What were we to do with his Easter basket that he cherished so much? His basket, like Hill's, was made by his Mammy, my Grandma Sarah Rivenbark. Each year when we got the baskets out he would turn the basket upside down, dumping out all the grass, to find her sweet note, her signature and his name. He was so proud of his special basket.


How could I not get his basket out and place it beside Hill's. But this Mama heart breaks at the thought of his basket being empty beside Hill's and then it hit me!!!! EMPTY, EMPTY, EMPTY --his basket would be empty just like the tomb....
Wright's empty basket should not make us sad but rather happy for him that he has found new life, a new healthy body and is waiting with Jesus for us to join him again.

Those who live in the Lord never see each other for the last time.
                                                       -----German Motto

Please continue to pray for our family as we navigate this wilderness without our precious Wright. The most frightening feeling in the world is knowing this will never get better...our lives are forever changed, our future not what we planned, surviving only by the grace of God....living one day at a time.


Dear God, Creator of all, we thank You for the gift of life You gave to Wright!!! In all of our confusion and grief please help us to remember this Easter all the love and joy Wright brought to us. Guide us through all the choices and demands regarding our traditions for this season. Guide us to glorify You in all that we say and do. We rest in Your promise that we will see Wright again in heaven!! Amen.

3 comments:

  1. What a great realization and how awesome that we serve a risen Savior! I love that motto, "those who live in the Lord never see each other for the last time." You and your family will remain in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are inspirational, thank you for sharing. I can hear the ones who found Jesus"he's alive, he's alive!". So is Wright happier than ever telling you not to worry he knows you will never forget him and is so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you , Denny & Hill & all of the many other close family members and friends who are grieving with you! There is no doubt that not only has Wright touched so many lives with his AMAZING faith & love for God but so have you! You continue to share your journey and your ups & downs and although my heart breaks for you, I continue to be amazed and inspired by your tremendous faith!! Thank You soooo much for sharing your love for the Lord AND your journey!! You have no idea how much your faith and your stories have meant to me and my family!! We LOVE You sweet girl & that sweet husband and Hill!!

    ReplyDelete